A charming, intimate, Bermudian boutique hotel, centrally located within walking distance of our main city, Hamilton. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens, the private pool offers a quiet place to relax and gives one the feel of being in a country estate. Rosedon has an excellent reputation with a strong repeat guest following. Choose to get the ‘real feel’ of Bermuda by being spoiled by our long serving Bermudian staff. A uniquely Bermudian Hotel that offers a uniquely Bermudian experience!
Rosedon’s bedrooms are individually decorated with European fabrics, fine furnishings, pillow top mattresses, high quality bed linens, fluffy bath sheets, flat screens TV’s, players and WiFi throughout the hotel. Rosedon offers many packages year-round including Wedding, Honeymoon, Romance & Spa and Anniversary, Holiday and Golf packages. Some of our Hotel amenities include ‘Triple Filtered’ in room drinking water, a heated outdoor swimming pool, traditional afternoon tea and a swizzle party every Tuesday evening. Guests are also offered daily transportation and access to a pink sand beach located on the South Shore.
Rosedon was built in 1906 as the private home of Mr. E. J. Thompson. It was named after his son, Robert Rosedon Thompson; Rosedon was an old family name of the Thompsons in England.
The property on which the house was built was actually purchased by cable from England. Mr. Thompson, who owned the E.J. Thompson Bakery on Pitts Bay Road, was in England on business when he learned that this magnificent site was available. He promptly bought it and his close friend, Mr. Beswick of Boston, designed the house and drew the plans. The builder was a Mr. N. W. Hutchings of Bermuda.
Mr. Beswick knew what he was doing. The walls were built double with thickness and furred to prevent any dampness seeping through. The woods were all imported – pine, oak, cherry, mahogany and California redwood went into the decor, with each room designed to suit a particular wood. The pillars in the entrance hall were specially carved and imported from Chicago. There was no electricity in those days and Rosedon was the only house in Bermuda to be lit by gas, which was piped from the Bakery just a few blocks away. This was considered most luxurious as other homes were lit by kerosene lamps.
Rosedon was sold by the Thompson family in the 1930’s to an American named Brown who installed the magnificent private bathrooms. Each of the five double bedrooms had a private tiled bathroom with glassed-in shower. The colour scheme ranged from turquoise to a candy pink that was so inviting it could have been part of a Ziegfeld set. The whole atmosphere of the house, to this day, is one of friendly comfort and the spacious rooms are airy and cool, even on the hottest summer day.
Before World War II, Rosedon was rented from the Brown Estate by a Mr. Percy Crawford who ran it as a bed and breakfast guest house until the outbreak of war when the tourist business disappeared overnight. It was purchased from the Brown Estate by the present owner, Mrs. Geoffrey Kitson, in 1950 and reopened as a guest house. Over the years she and her late husband Geoffrey have expanded it from the original five bedrooms to today’s thirty nine. Today their sons, Kirk & Richard Kitson and grandchildren, Lee & Scott continue to keep this unique hotel running. Rosedon is now classified as a small hotel and has become one of the most popular and successful on the Island.
Rosedon is particularly proud of its friendly and efficient staff, many of whom have been here from ten to fifty years. This continuity of staff has made Rosedon truly a Home away from Home for our visitors.
- 2017 Traveller’s Choice Award – Top 25 Hotels for Service – Caribbean
- 2016 Best of Bermuda & 2016 Expert’s Choice Award on TripExpert
- 2016 Traveller’s Choice Award – Top 1 % on TripAdvisor.
2015 TripAdvisor Hall of Fame Award – Five time Winner of the Certificate of Excellence 2011 – 2015
This unique accolade is granted only to those businesses that have won the Certificate of Excellence for five years in a row. The Certificate of Excellence can be earned only by receiving consistently great reviews on the world’s largest travel site.
- 2015, PRODUCT & SERVICE AWARD, Best Hotel & Guest House for the Business Traveller – Bermudian Magazine.
- 2012, PRODUCT & SERVICE AWARD, Best Guest House – Bermudian Magazine.
- 2012 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Award – Top 25 Hotels for Service in the Caribbean
The Travelers’ Choice Award is the highest honor a hotel can receive from the TripAdvisor community. It’s based on the reviews and opinions of millions of travelers, and is awarded only to a very select and distinguished group of hotels.
- International Recognition – CONDE NAST JOHANSENS – Rosedon was one of the top three hotels in Most Outstanding Hotel in North America and Bermuda.
- Hotelier of the Year, Bermuda – Muriel Richardson, General Manager
- Tourism Buttery Award for Small Hotel that consistently maintains a high standard
- Sanitation Award for Cleanliness of Kitchen by Health Department
- IIP – Investors In People Standard – This is an internationally recognized benchmark for good practice in achieving business success through people and is used to help improve performance and manage change in the way it links people strategy to business strategy. Rosedon has been using this standard since 2002. ROSEDON IS THE ONLY RECOGNISED INVESTORS IN PEOPLE HOTEL IN BERMUDA.
- 2010 PRODUCT & SERVICE AWARD, Oct/Nov., Bermudian Business Magazine.